Monday, December 24, 2007

"Merry Christmas!"

It's that (not so) wonderful time of year again where we all get close for one day and get drunk and eat. For those of you that won't be around your loved ones this year, you're probably going to send out a nice little "Merry X-mas" text. If you celebrate X-mas and you have a cell phone, please pay attention to the following.

Every year for about, oh I don't know, four/five years I've been receiving those holiday text messages. The simple "Happy Thanksgiving" and "Merry Christmas" ones. And that's it. Even from important people in my life (i.e. friends, loved ones, bosses). Co-workers, well, they're just being co-workers. So a simple text like that is fine. It's not like they REALLY know who you are anyway. Don't get me wrong. Even receiving a simple text says enough. I know a lot of people on my contact list that won't be sending me/receiving one from me. So acknowledging someone is nice. But still, isn't personal.

So how about this? This year, send a personal message if you choose to send any. Don't just send "Merry Christmas!" to 30 people on your contact list. Even just adding that person's name makes it personal. Like you actually took the time to specifically send it to them. Maybe throw in a pet name. Maybe throw in their boyfriend/girlfriend's name, kid's name. Anything. Or actually take a few minutes to come up with a nice "Hallmark" type thing to send to someone. I've got my plan of action this year. Drafts.




So as a personal message to all of you out there reading this: If you're still coming back to this site, I must be doing something right. : ) And it's about time. We're nearing the end of the year, and nearing an entire year of Nothing For X. And I wouldn't have kept it up this long had it not been for your comments and e-mails. Thank you all, and I hope you have a good time with your families. Maybe you can spread the love and show some of this stuff off to friends and family when you're all drunk and bored. Right before you get into a discussion about who would kick who's ass in a fight: Santa or Jesus. Merry Christmas ~ X

No comments: